Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lecture 5

That reading had an interesting collection of phenomena in it. It both started and ended on notes I didn't really get though - I wasn't understanding why the surface tension is given by "surface energy = T * surface area", it wasn't obvious to me that T had to be a constant that doesn't depend on any other parts of the geometry. And at the end, there was a note about sonoluminescence, and I didn't really get how an oscillating bubble would give rise to that. But that's okay, the middle is the part that's important for now, I guess. I mostly got that - though perhaps I should read it over again, I thought I'd gotten the homework too but going over it in class last time I realized that I'd missed some problems I thought I had right, so I should give the reading another read-over. I'm still not clear on the beginning of the bubble-oscillation section, what we do to get the order-epsilon terms.

No comments: